Sunday, March 8, 2009

On the farm....

Yesterday I got to go with my parents and little brother to the Superstitions spring dairy farm in Mesa. Its located on Haws Rd. and Elliot so not too far away from where we live. As we stepped out of the car I saw a case in the parking lot and too make a long story short, I called the owners mother and the owner called and was so thankful I had found it. Apparently she had just got her phone replaced on Friday so this was a brand new high tech touch tone phone. I did my good deed for the day returning it too her :).
The farm had hundreds of cows and one of the mom's gave birth to her calf about four hours before we arrived and so the baby was brand new and still walking around with wobbly legs. The stench was terrible, not sure if it was the waste "lake" or the smell of the animals. I could hardly stand it. I can handle manuer (sp?) but not this smell. My mom who grew up on a farm just laughed and said "your such a city girl"... I agree, I couldn't handle living on a farm-a quick visit to one every now and then is more than enough for me!

I also got to see a cotton gin work, seperating seeds from the rest of the cotton. And upon my brothers insistance, we rode the hay ride twice with him and my dad another one on top of that. Makes me appreciate just how much effort goes into putting milk, butter, cheese and ice cream on our shelves.
Just a quick update..I saw the doctor this last week and at the visit my blood pressure was still in the 160 range so I started meds (against my wanting to) on Friday. He said there is a chance if I lose about ten pounds and move (which living in this smoke filled apartment is probably whats causing my huge stress and blood pressure) that I can check my b/p without the medication and see if I have gone back to normal. Keep praying that this happens because I want to be healthy and this medication (nor any other b/p meds) are safe to take while pregnant.

We think we have found another apartment in our complex where we can move to in the next few weeks so thats what I think we will be doing. I have been doing lots of thinking about the song Josh Groban sings...here are some of the lyrics:

Some days we forget to look around us.
Some days we can't see the joy that surrounds us.
So caught up inside ourselves.
We take when we should give
So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see
It's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for
Look beyond ourselves, there's so much sorrow
It's way too late to say,
I'll cry tomorrow
Each of us must find our truth
We're so long overdue

Just a lot to think about...are we thankful for what we have? Are we serving others? Anyways...here are some pictures from yesterday, hope you enjoy :)

Pee-ew! These cows stink!

Hay Ride!

The cotton Gin: (me holding the cotton leftover)

4 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

Wow, it sounds like you have some blood pressure problems. So sorry to hear that. My blood pressure has been a little bit higher than normal lately. But I am almost positive it's from the stress of everything going on over the past few weeks. My normal BP is about 120 and now it is about 139. So not too high, but high for me. I am just trying to relax as much as I can. But I can understand why you would be upset about that. Being on BP meds suck. I have never been on them, but I know people who have. I will keep you in my prayers : )

And your Doctor is NUTS about you losing 10 pounds. You're skinny already girlfriend ! But good luck with everything. I hope you get to move apartments and that everything works out.

Kristi said...

The dairy farm looks fun! It is cool to see where our food actually comes from. That place is pretty close to my house, but I've never been there. Good luck on moving!

Anonymous said...

The bp thing is really scary. A similar thing happened to Ritchie. He was fine for years and years, and then suddenly BAM! His was the bottom number- over 100 much of the time. At least he doesn't have to worry about being pregnant. His bp is doing better now that he has lost a few pounds and we both quit smoking (although I bet in your case the stress of the issue is even worse than the actual smoke!). Still he has to take meds. The farm sounded nice, but I can't bear the stinks either. We live too close the the U of A agricultural center next to the indian res, and we get the foul cow/livestock/something worse than just cow poop smell when the wind blows wrong.

Meg said...

Wow scariness- I really hope things get better for you soon- that is no fun! A question for the out-of touch me... Did I miss something... are you pregnant? or just making sure that any medications you take would be ok longer-term?