Sunday, January 12, 2014

Adelyn's Birth Story

I went in to my speech room (as we moved back to my tiny little Janitors closet) a few times during the month of July because I wanted to get my room in order in case anything were to happen to me pregnancy wise.  Good thing I acted on those promptings!  I returned back to work on July 31st and went to a district speech meeting.  I checked my voice messages as soon as I was done with the meeting around lunch time. The message was from Dr. Layton, my OBGYN stating that my lab results had come back and they did not look good.  He said I was showing signs of pre-eclampsia (my blood pressure had been elevated over the last few weeks) and that I would probably get sick very quickly.  He wanted me to have the baby that very day.  I started freaking out and was crying, while driving, totally unprepared to have this baby.  The baby was not due until August 10th and I was hoping to get atleast a week of work in to get all my things organized prior to a sub coming in and taking over for me.  I called David at work (luckily he answered his phone) and told him the situation.

I went into my work and said goodbye to everyone and filled the front desk ladies in on my situation. I rushed home to find David rigorously packing our things for the hospital.  Easton was at my mom's for the day, luckily, so I just had to pack some things for him.  We headed to the hospital and they got me hooked up on drugs around 3:00p.m.   David gave me the most amazing priesthood blessing, blessing me with strength to get through what I needed to and comfort.  He also mentioned that Adelyn and I would have a very strong and close relationship while she was growing up and that she would rely on my advice for many things.  They broke my water an hour or two later and shortly after my contractions got REALLY strong....around 6:00p.m.  They checked my cervix and around 6:15 they determined that I was at 9 cm.  They called for the doc and around 6:30 and only about 10-15 minutes of easy pushing, little Adelyn Noelle was born.  This labor and delivery was cake compared to Easton's.  It actually made me think "Oh, maybe I can do this again."  She weighed 7lbs 9oz. and was as beautiful as could be.  I decided to stay the full three days in the hospital and take advantage of my time with just baby.  My mom was sweet enough to take Easton for us.  Did I mentioned that the very next day, August 1st, David was scheduled to have a mock interview for PA school with Joyce Haynie at A.T. STILL?  We decided that he should go to that so he could be prepared for his interview.  Crazy!

















It was crazy coming home and having two kids.  Definitely a rough adjustment trying to get kids to nap at the same time and me get some sleep.  As usual, I experience my post-partum blues for the first 9 weeks ago or so after giving birth.  I attribute these feelings to getting no sleep and enjoying those every 2-3 hour feedings round the clock.  I am SO thankful for my mom, siblings and David who helped me out.  I'm also so grateful for ward members who brought in meals and my sweet sweet relief society president Judy Slade who saw me post that I had about 2 hours of sleep one night so she came over to watch my kids while I slept.  We are so grateful for the birth of our sweet little girl and how much joy she has brought to our family.  Easton has been such a loving brother.

 On a side note, the day after Adelyn came home, David had to run somewhere for a few hours so I was alone with the kids for a few hours.  I had left Adelyn in her bouncer and turned away for two seconds to grab something from her room.  I went to check on her, as I heard Easton say "come on Sister".  He was carrying her with one hand by her onesie into my bedroom.  Me freaking out said "Noooo!"  Easton, scared and not knowing that he was doing anything wrong, dropped her. I about had a heart attack and started bawling.  Luckily Adelyn was only dropped from about a foot off the ground. 

No comments: