Sunday, August 28, 2011

Baby Easton is here

Forgive me for taking so long to post about Easton's birth. We are so happy to have him here! I was two days past my due date (August 10th) so we had an induction scheduled for Friday August 12th at 3a.m.! The nurses started me on pitocin and we waited for the action to begin. Around 10a.m. my OB came in and broke my water, hoping that that would get the ball rolling. I was dilated to 3cm when I came in that morning. So in all likelihood, I very well could have given birth naturally that weekend. Once the pitocin started kicking in, I started feeling the contractions very distinctly. All throughout my pregnancy, I would feel cramping (like during that time of the month) and it would last all day. So I never knew what contractions really felt like until I was put on pitocin. As the day went on, the contractions started getting stronger. I luckily had my sister Stacey (who is a nurse), my mom, and David there all day to help me get through it. My mom had to constant remind me to breathe and count once the contractions came.

I was advised to get the epidural early before the contractions got so unbearable. So the anethesiologist came in, not too long after my OB broke my water. I was seated on my bed hunched over and the anesthesiologist asked me if I had scoliosis, I said no. This should have been the first indicator that I was not position well. She poked me several times with the needle and each time I cried out in pain (I was bawling during the epidural). They told me to tell them if I felt the pain to the left or right and each time I was poked, I told them which side. Finally after about 4 pokes, the anethesiologist repositioned me and got the needle in where it should be-no pain. Getting the epidural was aweful for me, but in the end I was glad I had it. I also got the max number of lidocaine shots throughout the rest of the day, because I kept feeling pain kicking in. After the last dose of meds possible, my legs went completely numb.

Around 4p.m. they asked me to start pushing once each contraction started. I would have to take a deep breathe, hold it, and push for about 10 seconds....and repeat this cycle 3-4 times on each contraction. Because I couldn't feel my legs, my mom, sister, and David took turns holding my legs up on each push. Pushing lasted two hours and meanwhile, I was getting oxygen and feeling so tired that I felt like my body was going to literally pass out on the table. At 6:24p.m., little Easton was born. My body was too weak to hold him or even keep my eyes open-and yet a nurse came in and made him try to nurse! I am not exactly sure what happend for about 3 hours after the birth because I was too tired and too drugged up! Here are a few pictures of our little guy...I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but being a new mother has been completely overwhelming to me. Dealing with hormones, postpartum blues, and lack of sleep has really thrown things for a loop. I love that I have a precious newborn, but thoughts of having a little person so dependent on me has been difficult. It has also been hard not being able to get out as much as I used to and being home all day! I am so used to being on the go all the time. David got to take a little over a week off to be home with us, and now that he has gone back to work, the days have been lonely. I am so grateful to have wonderful parents, family members (immediate and extended) who have helped me get through this time of change.

I have also had difficulty wanting anything to eat. I rarely feel hungry and when I eat, just about everything makes me want to throw up. This is a HUGE change for me, because I used to eat and want to eat ALL the time. Not sure if this is due to hormone changes or lack of sleeping-but hopefully my body decides it loves food, because this is the time when I am supposed to be eating more and not less!

6 comments:

Bjarnson Family said...

Lynette. Please let me know if you need anything at all I can even come over for a couple hours and take care of baby while you rest. It will get better I promise you. Let me know. Cammie

Telsha Winger & fam said...

I feel a lot the same way after my pregnancies, Lynette. I actually have great pregnancies but my fear of having more children is because after the baby is born my hormones go out of control and I am a mess for awhile. After I had Skylee I couldn't eat for a few months and I lost weight dangerously fast because I was nursing. One thing that I finally found worked for me was Slim Fast. It was about the only thing that sounded good for awhile. Just seeif you can find something that sounds good and stick with that if you must.

Hang in there. It is tough but you will get through this. I know you have heard it but enjoy that little bundle they are only that tiny for such a short time. One thing that helped me was someone told me to not expect too much out of yourself for awhile. Just take care of yourself and the baby and that's it. Let your body recover you went through a lot.

Let me know if you need anything and just know you are not alone. Recovery is tough and if your hormones are sensitive like mine it is super tough :) Love ya and good luck! You can do it I believe in you. Good job, he is beautiful!

Scott+Tiffany said...

You're doing great Lynette! Hang in there and let's plan a play date soon!

April Hardy said...

Lynette! It's a never ending adjustment. Just when you think you've got it down things change...but it's a good thing. You are doing wonderful. I feel so bad that your epidural experience was terrible- we have all been there. Had I not had signed a waiver I would've probably sued the hospital after Weston was born because of the horrible experience we (I) had. But the other 2 times I've had it done have been wonderful. Congrats on being a mom. It'll get better and you'll feel more like yourself before you know it. :)

Tay said...

Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about negative feelings. I went months - nearly a full year - of feeling an absence of excitement and bonding with Sean before I naturally became myself again. I wondered a long time what was wrong with me. So, anyway, it sounds like you should probably even call your doctor now and let them know about the eating thing. Just make sure it's not PPD or PPA symptoms.

Congrats on the baby!

Kristi said...

Congratulations, Lynette! Thanks for sharing your story! It is a HUGE adjustment suddenly being responsible for a baby. I didn't have much of an appetite after Chloe was born, but the nice thing was I lost weight quickly. But I also became extremely sleep deprived. I was crying every day and not motivated to do anything except take care of my baby. You are not alone!

You may like going to a mom's group, such as one at one of the hospitals (Banner Desert, I believe has a good one) or at Nurturing Hearts birth services, and of course La Leche League.

I hope your next birth will be a better experience. You may understand now why I was so adamant about having a natural birth with my second (and subsequent) babies after having a hospital birth full of interventions with my first.

Easton is adorable! Isn't it amazing that you brought him into the world? You are awesome!