Monday, March 21, 2011

A little bit of baby and some spring break

One of the greatest blessings of working for a school is having holidays and long breaks off. This month has been incredibly stressful for me because I have had triple the amount of IEP meetings, kids to test, and data to collect than I normally do in any given month. I told myself I was not even going to think about work over Spring Break-I needed a mental break. And....not an ounce of work was thought about :) (At least work relating to my job)

On Tuesday, I had my second ultrasound. On our first ultrasound, the doctor and technician could not detect the presence of a nasal bone. They said this was an indicator for Down's and suggested I do some bloodwork and possibly an amnio to decrease the probability of the baby having Down's. As you can imagine, I was worried sick. After listening to many stories about women having the same feedback as I had and having normal babies, I decided that I would leave my worries in the Lord's hand. I also had a blessing from family members. The bloodwork came back normal! The second ultrasound indicated the presence of a very small but nonetheless present nasal bone. I was absolutely ecstastic. The doctor said the heart and all other organs look good but I will have yet another ultrasound in a month. Below is a picture of our first ultrasound where we learned our little monkey is in fact going to be a BOY!

On Wednesday, my family got together at Freestone park and had corned beef, cabbage and potatoes. I had all day to myself so I decided to make some flower shaped cake balls for the get together. Below is a picture of the yummy dessert before they were dipped in white and green colored chocolate (I forgot to take pictures of the final product).


On Thursday evening and Friday evening, my family wanted to do some backyard camping. As camping is not my thing, we only joined in for the dinner and s'more making activities. Thursday night we ate cowboy dinners and Friday we made dutch over chicken pot pie and dutch oven peach cobbler. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but all meals were absolutely delicious!

On Friday, David and I had pondered what we would do together since he also had the day off. I had wanted to watch a Spring training game but all the tickets left were in non-shaded areas of the stadium and being outside in the heat for 5 minutes was killing me! (I realize it was only 85-90 degrees and that I am completely doomed once the 110 degree summer weather hits). So we decided to do what we have been doing the last few breaks and paint the baby's room. In the midst of peeling up the carpet to paint the baseboards, we realized how nasty the carpet was and on the spur of the moment decided to have carpet installed. We learned to never get carpet at Lowe's (it would have cost us almost 400$). Instead we went with a family owned company that my relatives have all used and the carpet cost 1/2 the price-it turned out beautifully! So with a little jungle themed decorating and some furniture, the baby's room will be ready to go!


On another good note, over the last two weeks, I have started feeling the baby move. What an incredible feeling this is! I am always anxious to feel him move everyday for reassurance that he is still alive and "kickin" ;) I can't wait for the day when David will be able to feel him as well. I feel bad that the kicks aren't strong enough for him to feel.

4 comments:

April Hardy said...

Both of Drews sisters have had that test done and were told the odds are high the baby has Downs, to which each kid came out completely normal. Everytime my o.b. has offered it I told them no, I wouldn't want the stress or worry during the whole pregnancy if the baby did in fact have it- I would deal with it when it came b/c the Lord knows what I could handle. And the test is done so that others may choose to terminate the pregnancy and that would never be an option for me. Regardless of the issues the baby has. But I am glad your baby is developing perfectly and your nerves have been calmed. Hopefully this summers heat doesn't kill you being uber prego! Congrats again!

Kristi said...

Those prenatal tests often cause more stress than they are worth! I declined several of the tests for that reason. I'm glad everything is okay.

I spent Spring Break painting, too. It took me a whole week because of all the prep work involved. I love the color you chose! We are also going to replace carpets next month. Can you e-mail or facebook me the company you found? Thanks!

Tara said...

I'm glad you updated us all, I've been thinking about you and your little one lately! I am so excited you have been able to feel him move, that is so neat!

And great choice in paint color for his room! Can't wait to see how you decorate it!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Liking the green color!
Isn't it the coolest feeling ever? Being able to fee Elle was one of my favorite things about being pregnant.Just wait till you are little further and you get woken up at night because he is having a party in there and you can't fall back asleep!
PS: Glad everything checked out well at your appointment