Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Visiting Teachers

Let me again brag on how wonderful my visiting teachers are. If only I could be a quarter diligent as they are. They come rain or shine everymonth and without fail bring me something yummy to eat. One of my visiting teachers I met for the first time tonight and she cross-stitched this cute jar and filled it with yummy pumpkin candies. Makes me ashamed that I am not doing better. Thank you ladies!


Conference this weekend was wonderful. One talk that was so powerful to me was the one on the Book of Mormon by Elder Holland. No one could have listened to that talk and deny that power in his words. He said that Moroni died shortly after writing "Come unto Christ and live". Joseph Smith and Hyrum Smith knew their wives would be left widows, thousands of followers would cross the plains, their feet bleeding and loved ones dying on the way. Persecutions would rage, and yet....they never denied the Book of Mormon once. If it had been false and they were unsure of its truthfulness, they would not have gone through so much to defend the book and the gospel. I have some family members that I pray will eventually return to the church and understand Elder Holland's talk (or the gist of it).



And lately I have thought so much of dear Elder Wirthlin's talk a conference or two ago...and his quote "Come what may and Love it". Lately, while having so much go on in this world, and experience a variety of trials, this quote has reminded me that even though we go through trials, love them, and know that they are refining you and making you into the person Heavenly Father wants and expects you to be. How blessed we are to have the gospel in our lives and to have leaders filled with inspiration, to give us hope in these Latter Days...amidst everything chaotic going on in this world, the gospel is our constant.







3 comments:

Jill Bienz said...

I LOVE that picture of the quote! That is one of my favorites too. Where did you find that cute thing?

Sessions Family said...

I agree. I thought Elder Holland spoke with such power and surety of the Book of Mormon. On Saturday I liked Elder Bednars talk, and how he said to have more love in the home. It feels like love is taken for granted, and how he said "don't just assume your family knows you love them. Tell them and show them.." I think love is one of the most powerful tools to have a functioning home :). I miss you guys too, and after this baby is born I hope to see more of ya!

Kristi said...

What a cute Halloween gift idea! The Holland talk was powerful - I loved it, too! And the Wirthlin quote is wonderful. I need that quote on my wall, too. It's easy to forget to be happy.