Monday, February 9, 2009

Cupcakes and Linguini

This past week has been a fairly stressful and busy one-more busy than usual. I am taking a research methods class and it takes me SO long to finish the homework-namely coming up with research questions that no one has ever researched before, and looking up articles. I know you wish you were in my position :) Therapy with my students has been so fun, but exhausting on my vocal chords and throat. Its been sore on and off since the beginning of the school year from talking so much. I love how the children are so cute, especially the kindergartners. I have one little boy who is working on /s/ blends so I always ask his group "who lives in a pineapple under the sea" and he proudly shouts "fungebob warepants!" It's hilarious, but I know he is trying to hard to say it right.

On a bad note, smokers have moved in downstairs from us and their smoke is coming through our piping, especially through the pipes under our bathroom sink and bathtub. So, this week when it's smelt especially bad i've jumped on the floor a few times to vent my anger. Sunday morning while I was blow drying my hair I heard a knock on the door and it was the lady (with one snaggle tooth left) downstairs. She said "I've noticed you guys have been making lots of noise downstairs lately and we want to ask you to stop (this said in a wheezy, i'm going to fall over and die any moment type voice). So my sweet david said "well we've been wanting to talk to you about your smoking because it's been coming through our vents." She says "well its our washer and dryer making the smell." David just says "Well, we'd appreciate it if you could smoke outside." She responds "Well, thats not something we can control". I thought, if you can march all the way up our stairs, you can certainly move yourself to your screen door and blow your smoke. I was so livid the rest of the day and was rather emotional during church with so many wonderful ladies announcing they're leaving the ward and with what happened this morning.

Needless to say, if they don't stop smoking, we will be forced to find another home over the next two to three months. I don't want the chemicals to affect our health or the health of our future children.

On a positive note, I made some funfetti cupcakes for my fourteen year old sunday school class. These kids are truly amazing and I love them so much, despite their chatti-ness (my new word). They are one of the reasons i'd be so upset to move, they've taught me so much and are a pleasure to teach-they are SO smart! So below are pictures of the cupcakes and the chicken linguini David and I made for dinner. Hope you enjoy :)


6 comments:

Unknown said...

the linguini looks so good! Paul and I were so lucky when we were in apts. We had a 3rd floor apt that was on the corner and the next "aptmt" over was the water heater room and downstairs was the janitors closet so we never had neighbor problems, except with our parking neighbor.

Kristi said...

Well I can't really enjoy it since I didn't get to eat it! And I'm glad none of my neighbors smoke - it's awful to smell!

Natalia Gray said...

oh! i hate when people smoke & don't care about others. it is so common here in Russia!

Meg said...

We had the exact same problem with our first apartment- our downstairs neighbors smoked inside ALL the time. In fact, they had used to live in the apartment we did, and just before we moved in they moved downstairs so they could have the yard area. We had to deep-clean that apartment to get all of the stink out- this guy rolled his own cigarettes, so no filters or anything. The bathroom under the sink was so horrible- I'm still in the habit of holding my breath whenever I reach underneath a sink to get something. I'm so sorry they were rude about it! Our neighbors were really nice, in their own way, but that was so rude of that lady. I hope things get better. :(

Kami Milliron said...

Ugh, that's why living in an apartment can totally suck sometimes. You always have the one neighbor who is completely inconsiderate. I cannot believe that refuse to smoke outside. How could you not have a massive headache all day from the massive amounts of smoke in your apartment. I have never understood why people smoke in the first place. It is so nasty !

Those cupcakes look divine. You should make some more and sneak them into Relief Society. Then you and I can sit in the back and quietly eat them ; )

Anonymous said...

Inconsiderate people stink (pun intended!).