Sunday, December 14, 2008

Lost and Found

(David's story)

On Natalia's (my little sister's) 18th Birthday I lost my wedding ring. She had been playing 007 with some friends (a more involved game of tag) and had added water balloons into the mix. While they were all looking around the land for the last people to make it back to base I snuck out with some water balloons and set up my ambush. I waited unit Ta(my sister) and a small group were walking inder a tree and then launched a volley of balloons into the branches over head, showering the unsuspecting victims. Return fire instantly wised past me as I ran for it. As I was running, one of ta's friends called me a stupid @$$ (0) and so I slowed my retreat. Auston grabed my arm as I was turning around so I swung him off but in the process my ring flew of my finger. Enraged by the punk kid who was running up just behind Auston I disregarded my ring and ran at the kid. After tackling the kid down and giving him a nice sternum rub with my knee I let him run off to now look for my ring. It was too late. I wasn't even sure where exactly I was when it flew off. Two nights of searching went by (only time I had available) it was sunday and fast and testimony meeting. The overal topic, as there often tends to be one, was about prayer and finding lost things. I got up and explained that I knew what I needed to do to find my ring and shared why I think I lost it in the first place. It was my anger and pride that kept me from stopping right where I was and finding my ring. As i shared my thoughts on not letting things distract us from whats most important I looked down at Lynette and felt so much love for her and thought of what that ring represents. "I never want to let myself get distracted from how important Lynette is to me and damned with my pride if it ever gets in the way" were the feelings going through my head. After the meeting was over a sister came up to me and said she felt inspired to tell me to look for it at night and I would see the gold shine. I had to laugh at that because I had been looking at night with a flashlight for two nights now under that very hope yet to no avail. Monday morning I woke up early and before work went over to the land and layed out a grid of where the ring might be. Loren Lilly (my uncle) had given me his metal detector but the grass was so thick that the air space made the thing go off all the time renduring it usless. There I was raking every inch of my grid, back hurting and eyes straining when the sun came out of the clouds and the comment from the sister poped into my head about the gold shining. I looked up to see a glint in the grass up top the hill. Excitement ran through me as I considered the possibility, yet as I got just overhead the beautiful glint was no more then morning dew. Devistated that I had to return to the raking I lifted my head to find the ring not two feet away from the dew drop. Elated I picked it up and crammed it onto my middle finger where I have to bruise the nuckle for it to come off. Surly the ring is not our marriage but I learned a good lesson about focusing on what's important, not letting my anger or pride distract me and to rely on the lord and the inspiration he gives. I hope this Christmas we will stay focused of the Birth and life of Christ and not let the many distractions turn us away from what's most important.



4 comments:

Kristi said...

What a sweet story. I'm glad you found the ring. I believe in the power of prayer. With God, all things are possible.

Crystal said...

That is inspiring. Thank you for sharing it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Dav.
on a lighter note you need to eat lots more Icecream to fatten up so your ring won't fall off :)

Sanfilippo said...

Aww, you guys are so sweet. Happy holidays!! Hope you enjoy the winter break Lynette, I will see you when school starts back up :)