Thursday, April 23, 2009

Emotional Rollercoaster

So many things have happened in the last few days that have nearly made me lose my sanity.

1. I forgot my binder for school on Tuesday that I needed for notes in class that night since I couldn't drive home. And I needed the binder to study for my second out of two exams in that class for the entire semester.

2. Shortly after I realized I left my binder, I checked my yahoo email account and noticed a letter from my professor stating that I had failed to turn in two final exam questions that were to take the place of our last quiz (only those who showed up to class last thursday got that option) and that as a result I would be taking the quiz next week. This goes from spending 15 minutes coming up with in-depth questions, to spending 6-7 HOURS studying for the quiz. I had spent all week rigorously trying to finish my 15 page preschool class (same class) written project and had absentmindedly forgotten to do that questions. I failed to see the fairness in having the study this many hours for simply forgetting to do this assignment.

The positive: I, being so flustered, email the professor a few hours later and told her I didn't think this was very fair-I accepted responsibility for my mistake and asked if she could narrow the quiz down as far as what I needed to study. She emailed later in the evening and said she would talk about the quiz and narrow it as it got closer to the date. Five minutes later she emailed and said, ok, finish the questions tonight, and that will be good enough. Thank you Mary!

3. Tonight I went to a meeting with my professor of my speech program to discuss my schedule for the next year and how I could get observation hours with a certified Speech Therapist at Banner Baywood (another professor informed me that all the students in my program wouldn't get to do a hospital rotation period because of budget cuts). The professor showed me my updated schedule and I proceeded to ask her what I needed to do to get certified observation hours at the hospital, after I called Baywood. The professor said to not call them because I did not have the education or experience to even do a rotation. Not in these exact words but words similiar she said "So I gather from your emails that your are upset and bashing the PEP program, Lynette we are working and do everythign we can for you PEP students. It seems like a lot of you are unhappy with your program. If you want more experience in the medical field, perhaps you are in the wrong program." I kept saying ok...ok...ok...because I was shocked out of my mind that this normally sweet and very helpful lady was even suggesting that I was bashing the program and leading others to get riled up as well.

I merely said in my emails that I really wanted hospital experience and that I would find SLP's to observe me on my own since the ASU staff wasn't going to help us. And all the other students in my program wanted the experience as well. Anyways, I left in tears and I felt like I was just slapped in the face.

Good things:

1. This week is IA (aide) appreciation week and so my sweet SLP that I work under suprised me with flowers and a card. The principal said she could take me out for lunch and he would re-imburse her. So sweet and thoughtful.

2. I got to write my two questions and not take the quiz

3. I finished my preschool project

4. I have a friend who came to class today in tears as well from hearing bad news from the same professor so I had someone who understood what I was feeling

5. I have a loving and supportive husband who sees me through everything

_____I've realized more than anything I NEED a break_____I need to get out and do something not related to school. I think I have just been worn thin, i'm tired...mentally and physically.

4 comments:

Telsha Winger & fam said...

so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. It seems like when it rains it pours huh? Take it easy, I feel for ya. Hang in there, I'll send some prayers that direction! Love ya and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Been there and I'm here to tell you...You will survive! Keep your head up. It's worth it in the end!

Unknown said...

sounds like the professor is burnt out and over reacting. I'm sorry you're having such a hectic week

Sanfilippo said...

Wow Lynette, I just read this post today and am glad we both made it through this crazy week... Totally made me laugh that I got to make an appearance as the crying girl :) I'm anxious to see what our take-home final will be like, but I'm sure you'll do awesome on it. We need to go out to dinner or something after this semester is over to CELEBRATE! You in??